Tuesday, August 18, 2026

An Old Fashioned Beet Salad

 One of the joys of summer eating was the old fashioned beet salad. There's something about the deep ruby slices dressed in a simple vinaigrette. It's a tart and tangy taste, reminiscent of a summer when  fresh veggies ruled the tables.

I had a craving for this after reading today's  article by Simon Bajaj in New York Times Tuesday Science Times section. Beets are muklttiaskers.They promote brain health while lowering blood pressure. The reason I wanted them was nothing scientific. I missed their sweet  earthy taste. I wish I could get fresh beets but then they lose their nutrients when boilingl. It was on to the canned sort.

They;re already cooked and sliced , marinating in their own juices. I bought Stop and Shops but any brand is good.

The dressing is so simple.A splash of olive oil and dash of white wine vinegar. Add some salt and freshly ground pepper to really bring out the natural sweetness. You could add chopped onions as my Mom did. These give a spiky sharpness.'

Mixed this is the perfect side(although I couldn't;t resist stealing forkfuls before dinner). This is the perfect change up from green bean and broccoli salad and it's perfect with any charcoal grilled steak, Chill it a few hours before making for the optimum flavor boost.

Beets are good for you. Try them in a classic salad. Enjoy the sweet taste with a tart vinaigrette. They are hard to resist,


No comments: