Saturday, August 1, 2026

An Updated Pea Salad

 Can a family classic recipes be updated? Yes! there are some recipes that can be adapted to vegan lifestyles or just have new ingredients added for more flavor. It;sa fun way to carry on tradition while adding a new spin.

I did this with my Mom's pea salad. She combined peas and rice , adding cube of ham for savoriness and oomph. I decided to updat eit a bit.

There are still peas . Get the canned sweet ones, U=I used the Stop & Shop brand which are always good.]

My Mom;s version called for white rice - a riff on the classic Russian salad Yet supposed elbow macaroni was subbed in insread?


It needs to be mixed. The original recipe called for just mayo. Yet suppose if there was a dash of flavor - namely ranch dressing added in.

I added about three tablespoons of each, equally mixed to the salad.


My Mom also had cubed han in her pea salad .I thought , why not give it a vegan twist.I used Morning star plant based based to crumble over it.

I used eight sliced microwaved for four minutes to get extra crispy. These were crumbled into the salad.

I liked this updated recipe. The bacon really adds  to it as does the ranch dressing. It;s a nice blend of sweetness from the peas and the bacon;s saltiness. You can add julienned hands trips if you want a long with changing up the pasta to rotini.This is a great salad for barbecues and picnics.

Should recipes be updated? Yes.As with this salad , an update made it fresh and tastier. It;'s the perfect summer salad.

No comments: