Saturday, February 18, 2023

A Vegan White Chili

 White chili has been a thing now for several years,It's a different alternative to the traditional red chili. Is it as good as people say? It is different , yet the same in some ways.

I 've been wanting to make this for a while.To be honest it's hard to find a good vegan crockpot recipe for it. I cobbled together one from several different recipes.White chili starts with veggies and beans. I used the fajita mix from my local Stop & Shop. You can add corn.I didn't because it'sa bit too strong for me.

I wanted to give it some color and was pleased that there were red and green peppers along with sliced white onions. As for the beans I used only white as was recommended.Cannelini is the best because they add a creaminess. the chickpeas had texture and more flavor.

These were first cooked with olive oil in the crockpot

You could add any oil but I like the flavor that olive oil gives..

There are also spices involved. I used generous amounts  of powdered garlic, cumin and chili powder, adding a good dash when I thought the chili was bland tasting(I recommend tasting throughout the whole cooking)


 I also used garlic powder but you can saute a minced clove too.It was then time to add the beans and liquids I used two cups of vegetable broth which I realized was a mistake.It made the chili too soupy.

                                               


                                                   Along with 3/4 of a cup of almond milk.

Let it cook it up on high for a couple of hours. White chili requires a creamy base such as cream cheese .I used Violife's and added it half an hour before serving.

I used the entire container and stirred it in with a fork. This is how it looked fully cooked.
It was actually better rehreated the day after for lunch.I added rice to absorb all that broth.

Again it will take more tinkering to make this as good as red chili. I plan on cutting down on the veggie broth, and adding two containers of cream cheese.it will definitely be served with rice or polenta too.

White chili is a nice alternative to the red variety. It's a different flavor , creamy and spicy.It's perfect for the still chilly days ahead.

No comments: