Monday, January 27, 2020

Lobster Balls Finally

The lobster balls I had planned to make for Christmas Eve finally got cooked today.
They had been in the freezer for six weeks (they came a week before the holiday). I had to steam defrost them in the microwave for six minutes before cooking them in the air fryer.
It was adding water to them and then putting a paper towel over them to steam them.
Afterwards it was then creating a sauce to match the Priano  garlic flavored risotto I bought at Aldi's
These were a quick cook of about fifteen minutes.
The lobster balls were a bit more elaborate. I flavored them in a bath of olive oil, and this trio
,garlic salt, onion powder and dried oregano.
The hard part comes next.  Setting a time and temp on the air crisper. The recipes for tofu balls really didn't help. There were literally none for lobster tofu balls. I set it for 350 degrees.

Setting at 400 might have been too much.  As for the time. first it was eight minutes, checking it 
then another ten minutes.
This was the final product.
I thought the balls would be crispy and brown. They did have a crispy exterior but a soft lobster like interior. The flavorings I added were subtle and the balls worked with the risotto. It would have been the perfect Christmas Eve, or New Year's Eve dinner.  The lobster and the rice were the perfect pairing. There are a lot of leftover lobster balls (and risotto) but I'm chilling these and turning them into a tasty cold salad for tomorrow's dinner.

I may decide to make the lobster and rice for a non traditional Easter dinner. They're really an elegant duo and balance each other. I will be buying the lobster balls again from Vegan Essentials for other dishes too.

No comments: