Friday, February 9, 2018

The Bonbon Cake

What could be better than a chocolate covered strawberry? A cake made like one. I had this idea pop into my head when I saw Duncan Hines' strawberry cake mix.It sounded  like a good idea......

Here is what the batter looks like, a kind of Pepto Bismal pink with dried strawberries thrown in.

It's the standard Duncan Hines, add three eggs, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, and one cup water. Bake for thirty minutes .
And this is the result. The pinkish shade can't be seen here but there is a rosy hue to the cakes. I have to admit I was nervous , considering the birthday sprinkle cake fiasco. I had nightmares of gooey batter  dripping on my oven floor. Thankfully it didn't. It was then onto the icing.
I have fallen for the Two Sisters chocolate buttercream icing.I usually add more cocoa powder than they recommend . It creates a rich, fudgey kind of icing.
The two sisters recommend mixing the confectioner's sugar and cocoa powder first.
It looks like ashes
Two sticks or a cup of softened butter cut up .Milk is usally added but I prefer light cream for a richer, smoother icing.
This is what it looks like all mixed together.


This is the iced cake. I had leftover buttercream icing from the sprinkle disaster.I added a bit too much red food color (all safe) and got this watermelon colored icing.
I should have added lard to it so I could make more defined decoaration.

In the end it turned out to be the perfect ending to a perfect dinner/ (And thank you Polly Bertos and Lili Dugan for inviting us over and for a chance to for me to make this cake.)

No comments: