Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Just Desserts

If you're a sweet toothed foodie like I am, then you have to have dessert. Lunch or dinner just isn't the same without ending it with something sugary. The problem is what to finish off a meal with? Do you go fro something healthy ? Or something sinful and decadent?

I wanted something of the last. I just bought Jello's latest mousse cups. These looked yummy in the store and proved to be just that. I love mousse better than pudding (which to me is too dense and gummy) and Jello's latest offering is just as light and as flavorful as any homemade kind. It's actually perfect for those nights when I 'm coming home late from teaching and want a quick meal something after.Another quickie dessert is just ice cream with syrup. I recently bought the soy based Pure Decadence in Chocolate Obsession. Ii usually get their Pomegranate Chip, but alas, the store sold out of it. Sometimes just a scoop of ice cream with syrup is enough dessert. Ices are good too. They're low calorie, and always refreshing.During the summer I was polishing off my Taco Bell meals with their deliciously icy Frutistas.

Fruit makes a healthier, more nutritious ending to a meal, especially if it's dinner. Now that's it's fall I can once again go back to my beloved apples dipped in caramel. This is a great meal topper and fun to share. Marzetti has an excellent caramel dipping sauce that also goes well on pound cake and ice cream. I prefer apples . This is also the season for pears and there's nothing like a healthy dessert of just a pear. Baked apples are a good meal ender and they're easy to make in the microwave. My version has caramel and chopped walnuts along with butter in the apple core. It's kind of like an inside out caramel apple. I have updated my grandmother's baked apple recipe which calls for red wine, sugar and butter. This is a quick and fancy dessert , perfect
for company.

Desserts can be fun or healthy or both. It depends on you. Sometimes just a bowl of ice cream with syrup and fruit will suffice. Sometimes dessert is just a bit fancier with whipped cream or elaborately created. In the end it's up to you , the foodie, to decide how to end your meals.

No comments: