Saturday, October 11, 2014

Crackem An Egg Citing New Invention

 
 
 


Home chefs always dread prepping eggs. There's so much mess and gooey whites to contend with, not to mention that there may be shells lurking in the omelet or cake. That's all about to change thanks to a new invention [see above and this is a first for Foodie Pantry too) called the Crack'em. Dave Tennant , who is more accustomed to computers than the kitchen invented this neat little helper. It a small dish with a raised ridge. Crack the egg over the ridge and it collects whatever drips out . It also collects those pesty shell fragments , leaving any dish shell free. I recently interviewed Dave for  Foodie Pantry.

FP- what is your background?Is Crack' em your first invention?

Dave Tennant: I currently work for the Treasury Department in their IT operations department but worked with two consulting firms before that.I also served in the Marine Corps from 2003 to 2011.I have had many ideas of different ways to do things, but , yes this is my first invention.

FP: What made you want to create it? What was the inspiration behind it?

DT: I was cooking for my pregnant wife back in May of 2013 and broke an egg on the side of the pan.Half of it fell into the pan while the other half landed on the stove.It was a huge mess!When I was cleaning the egg off the side of the pan I noticed its' finish was wearing off from previous egg drippings and messes. I then decided to create something that would make cracking eggs easier, contain a mess and also provide dual functionality as a spoon rest.

FP:Have you noticed that egg prepping has gotten cleaner and less messier with it?

DT:Yes, I have.I haven't cleaned an egg mess since I made the Crack' em. The only messes I encountered were during research and development, but since I had the prototype made,it's been a wonderful mess free experience!

FP;Where can Foodie Pantry readers buy Crack'em? How much does it cost?

DT: Right now I'm running a Kickstarter campaign to raise money to help me pay for manufacturing.Right now they can go to www.crackemeggs.com and click on the "Click Here To Pledge" button to buy it now.After the Kickstarter campaign they will be able to buy them from the crackemeggs.com website.

FP:The Crack'em is a great help in the kitchen!Do you have any other kitchen gadgets on the drawing board?

DT:I don't have anything on board right now because I'm trying to get the Crack'em off the ground, but I'm sure I'll have other ideas in the future.

FP:I have to ask this - what is your favorite egg dish to make? To eat?

DT: I  actually love omelets! Typically I'll put as many vegetables and meat as I can in my omelets. In my mind the more the merrier!

Dave , this recipe for  Chock Fulla Omelet is for you!

Ingredients
1-2 eggs. well beaten
1/2 cup any meat (I like ham but you can put any kind from cooked ground beef to sausage to bacon}
1/2 cup mix of any veggies (I like onions and green peppers but you can choose your own}
1 tablespoon MELTED butter

Mix ingredients and pour into a microwave egg muffin cooker. Cook for two minutes. Serve on English muffin or toast. You can also add any kind of cheese too to the recipe.

1 comment:

FunPaperStraws.com said...

We're excited to be one of the first online sites to offer the Crack'em. We offer them on our website, CanDoChefs.com and on Amazon through our sister website, FunPaperStraws.com