Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Traveling Foodie Show

Today's Wednesday's New York Times Dining section is chock full of good articles. There's a few that caught my eye ,especially one that deals with traveling foods Yup, these are foodie faves that have to be sent in via relative or close friend. It's an interesting piece that deals with the lengths that foodies will go to to get their faves.

This hits home for me. I can remember asking my Gran for homemade barbecue from where she was in Indiana. Of course you don't get it here in Jersey (not the authentic , smoky kind anyway) and always begged her to bring several jars on her visits East.It was a thrill to open up the box that the large jars came in and start planning the next day's lunch. I also felt the same with my other side when my grandparents extended families came from Italy and Germany bringing good chocolate and cookies that you couldn't get over here.MinItalicd you there are some things that are only found in South Jersey that we can't get here up in the Northern section. Every time I head down to Atlantic City I make sure I stop on the ride north to pick up authentic sticky buns .We also can't get scrapple here the way we can in Atlantic and Cape May Counties too.

The article written by Sarah Maslin Nir tells of the length people will go to to get their favorite out of reach foods. Fans of the famed Southern soda, Cheerwine, will drive for hours at a time to get this cherry drink. Other will enlist mothers to smuggle in foods over state lines, such is the case of one New Mexican who longed for the state's roasted chilis. Others will have the stuff shipped to them in special care packages like the one young woman who had a special lime juice sent from her gran in Florida.

Foodies will do whatever it takes to get their faves sent to them. I'm no different. Besides there;s some that 's so special about getting a package of hard to get treats from relatives or friends who care.

No comments: