Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year New Foods

It's good to be a foodie in 2010. There are so many new foods out (thanks to an innovative 2009). There's also some new twists on old classics that should get tongues wagging and palates wanting. All in all it will be a very interesting and flavorful year.

Some things that I've noticed have been right on my grocery shelves. One that is really outstanding are the Lu madeleine sandwiches. These are made by the same French based company who makes those luscious Petit Ecolier biscuits. The madeleines are even better. These are two butter, silky textured shell shaped cookies bound together with the richest darkest chocolate you can imagine. These are new to the market and completely addictive. Another item I've just seen - although it may be out for a while - the baked Ruffles with ridges. It surprised methe other day when I tasted then. I don't like baked potato chips. To me they have a rather flat taste.However these baked Ruffles were pretty much like the regular old school ones - without that heavy , oily aftertaste. Another new trend I think will catch on is buckwheat pasta. I had this on Christmas Eve at my favorite restaurant and just recently bought buckwheat dumplings. Buckwheat is high in fiber and gluten free. It is also rich in magnesium and zinc along with being chock full of flavanoids.Even though it's been around for centuries in Milan's province of Lombardy (thanks to the Saracens bringing it to Northern Italy) I really think we'll be seeing a lot f it , whether in the form of ravioli or just plan spaghetti and fettuccine.

Now here;s something I didn'texpect. Bacon is going to be the most wanted ingredient of 2010. I had heard it on the radio just before writing this. There are ways now to make it into everything from a liquid to a powder. There is talk of a new drink - the bacon-tini which featured bacon powder lining the rim of a martini glass. Another big thing is bacon ice cream where flecks of it will be scattered through the vanilla flavor. This doesn't surprise me. there is already bacon maple lollipops and bacon brittle. It was just a matter of time before it wasincorporated into other sweet dishes. besides it is also the cheapest ingredient to work with as the news reporter pointed out. Chefs love it because they can buy it in relative large quantities and do a host of experiments with it.

These are are samplings of what 2010 will bring to the table , literally and figuratively. I'm sure other new products will come out. Chefs will do a variety of experiments with other ingredients and some long forgotten spices will get their due this year. 2010 will certainly be a good year for us foodies.

No comments: