Saturday, January 25, 2020

A Summer Cake In Winter

Everyone craves summery flavors in the winter. It's no difference with desserts. There's always a craving for something light in a season full of heavy flavors and weighty ingredients. For a friend's birthday I thought I'd go mid summer in the middle of mid winter.

It starts with a light cake. I used Duncan Hines Perfectly Moist. I liked their Perfectly Moist chocolate cake so much I tried their classic white. What I didn't know that it was an angel food cake that only used egg whites.


The yolks will be used in a ham scramble tomorrow. The result is a light  fluffy angel food cake.
The icing should be just as light and fluffy. I went to my favorite frosting go to site, Two Sisters Crafting. They have a wide variety of different buttercream recipes from vanilla to peanut butter. I love their peppermint one however that's better with a chocolate cake. I decided to try their lemon one, light and summery with this cake.
It is a labor intensive one though. It's made with only three ingredients
Here are two
  
I used Acme's Organic butter and their lemons. The recipe called for a 1/4 cup of lemon juice which is about the juice of one lemon.

Keep in mind that the seeds have to be sieved out.
Then five cups of confectioner's sugar is added. Only do one cup at a time, then mix, one cup then mix.
To add to the zinginess the sisters also add a teaspoon of lemon zest. This required using the two lemons.

The finished frosting spread on very thickly which is perfect for a buttercream.  I plan on using this one for the frosting on my Easter lambs.

                                           It also holds candles well too. As for the flavors, the tart lemon drop flavor works well with the airy angel food cake taste. It really was the perfect marriage of frosting and cake.

There's nothing like a taste of midsummer in midwinter. This cake is the perfect solution to those wanting a lemony light flavor to remind them of summer picnics and tea parties.Make it and be instantly transported to warm sunny days.

No comments: