Wednesday, July 31, 2019

A Cool Rice Salad For Hot Days

It is hard to come up with dinner ideas when the temps reach the 90's and 100's. What is easy to cook and easy to eat? The answer came in today's New York Times Food section. David Tanis' rice salad! Of course .It's a snap to make and a delicious way to beat the heat.

Mr. Tanis' recipe calls for arborio rice mixed with a tahini based dressing. His is crunchy and herby, thanks to the inclusion of currents, pistachios and almonds mixed with mint and chives. I veered off.
First the rice. Arborio does take a longer time to cook. Instant rice is easier. I used Stop & Shop's brand.
I cooked  three cups of it because anything with rice goes quick in my house.
Then I added the veggies,grape tomatoes and one orange pepper.
They were diced into bite size pieces.
I bought already cut celery and broccoli from Stop & Shop's salad bar. I included black
olives into the mix for a Mediterranean vibe.

As for the dressing olive oil and I went for a red wine vinegar instead of my usual apple cider one. Again it gives it a nice dinner in Capri feel.
A sprinkle of sea salt and a quick grind of pepper, mix and you have a salad that takes you through steamy days and nights. As Mr. Tanis suggests you can toss in some chopped hard boiled eggs.Add tuna for a Roman flavor. I'd suggest putting in some chopped roasted chicken to make it more filling.

Thank you David Tanis of A City Kitchen for inspiring
me to create my own rice salad recipe. This is another summer go to recipe that I'll be using in the dog days ahead. It's easy to make and so cool to eat.

No comments: