Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Mush Mouth

Having dental work and oral surgery is annoying along with being painful. The worst part is that you're on a really strict diet for a few days.Luckily you can make it work and more or less have the same foods you normally eat.

Unfortunately I had a back molar pulled today and was promptly told what to eat and not eat. No chewy meats like steak. No crunchy foods  like pretzels and chips. I can eat guacamole but not the corn chips that accompany them. Another  taboo - hot food which can dissolve the stitches in my mouth.Foods have to be tepid, room temperature or better yet cold foods. No crunchy Smarties (which got me into this mess in the first place). No popcorn - another culprit that could have damaged the tooth that needed to be pulled. Soft squishy tomatoes  are fine celery isn;t unless it's chopped up.Forget hot chocolate - way too hot and sugary. Very sugary drinks such as it and even icy sodas should be avoided for at least a day or two. They can irritate the raw extraction site. Warm coffee is fine  as is warm water . It 'll be another twenty-four hours before I can satisfy my Panera  and Starbucks cravings,

Of course my meals will be slightly altered. Thankfully I can have my daily breakfast of flavored oatmeal. My hot herbal tea will need a few ice cubes now. I can still have scrambled  or soft boiled eggs at home or at my favorite diner. Omelets are on the list too. I just can;t have a side of bacon and home fries.Corned beef hash is OK with it so I may try this new combo./ As for meals, clear soups such as vegetable broth is allowed along with pureed or mushy foods.Mashed potatoes are high on the list. They can be enhanced with a huge knob of butter or a few tablespoons of gravy. Polenta is also on the list. Cheesy polenta is even better.It's soft, creamy and chock full of protein.Baked mac and cheese is not just the comfort food that will get you through this but it's perfectly fine to eat. Another mushy pasta dish is pastina, those little stars  mixed with melted butter.It's also allowed. Yay! if you want something more nutritious  them have pureed beans and rice along with pureed yams.Finish with Hagen -Daz mini cups .


Extractions are a pain, both literally and figuratively, The restricted diet that goes with it is evne worse. Just - grin - and bear it  - and embrace the mushiness.

No comments: