Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween Treats

Nothing beats Halloween candy. That's the one thing I loved about the holiday, I didn't enjoy dressing up or going to strangers' houses (too scary) . I wasn't too fond of the costume parties or planning what to be. However the treats were a different matter. These were the best part of my Halloween. They still are.

For Americans Halloween candy are what madeleines are to Proust. Everyone has their childhood favorites. Mine were and still are those ridiculously small boxes of Milk Duds (only two per container). it was creamy(and often stale) caramel enrobed in a thin layer of chocolate. of course it also meant going to the dentist because of the pulled out fillings a day later. Another favorite were candy cigarettes.These were a kind of chalky candy not unlike what Sweet Tart is made of, wrapped like a cigarette.

Of course my all time favourite is candy and caramel apples. These were a special treat in the fall. There's something so satisfying as biting through that crisp red patina into a tart apple underneath. The caramel are good too, epically if they come from good candy companies like Rocky Mountain Chocolate. They use the slightly sour Granny Smith apples and ten dunk them into a buttery version of caramel. Yummmmm.

So, readers, what;s your favorite Halloween treat of all time? Let Foodie Pantry and me know. I'll be busy scaring off trick or treaters. I want that candy all to myself!

No comments: