Friday, October 8, 2010

Crunchy Versus Chewy

If you want to start a war, ask people what they ;re favorite type of cookie is, then refute. it. The crunchy lovers will get up into arms , The chewy affectionados will huff. Everyone has their opinion on what makes a good cookie?A crackly texture and intense flavor. Or a soft gummy like consistency with a just baked taste.

I'm a snap person myself. I love crunchy cookies that break into a thousands crumbs upon being bitten. I love the fact that they're well baked and there's a sound when they;'re broken. I thinks that's why they;re my all time favorite treat. What does make a cookie crisp? White sugar will give dough that much needed texture. brown sugar works the opposite. It leaves the texture a very malleable like a royal icing feel. If you want the dough even softer add eggs. The eggs make for a sponginess which I guess is OK for dunking. The type of flour is important too. Rice flour makes the best crunchy cookies . it even adds a grittiness to the dough.

From what I can see from the web, people are all about the crunch. Also crunchy cookies are just fun., They're noisemakers. My favorites are gingersnaps, chocolate snaps, any bakery cookie dipped in chocolate. The oven fresh and have a very buttery taste if I'm going to eat them.

So what's your poison? Crunchy ? Or chewy? Let Foodie Pantry know your cookie passion.

No comments: