Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Is Your Kitchen Clean Enough?

Is your kitchen clean enough to cook in?Is your table sanitary enough to eat off of? Bring in a health inspector to find out.Today's New York Times' Dining section had an interesting article about bringing health inspectors in to rate your kitchen. It's a scary thought albeit a helpful idea.

The author, Henry Alford had an actual inspector come in and rate his kitchen. He received many points off , five off for having cats, then for having nicks (which cause bacteria) in his cutting board and a fridge leaking condensation. He also got points off for having a broken meat thermometer and not having a thermometer in his refrigerator. He did receive a thumbs up for having a covered garbage can.

I don;t know if I want my kitchen evaluated and rated. I know I've broken a ton of violations such as having cats or dust in my cabinets along with not having the appropriate thermometers. I do have clean dish towels which I just found out that damp dirty ones are bacterial breeding grounds. I do clean my kitchen, dust and scrub it twice a week. Personally that's enough.No one in my family has had any kind of food poisoning. I guess we're safe.

Would I want my kitchen rated and compared to restaurant kitchens? Heck no!!!! I'm happy with it the way it is even if I have cats in it. At least they keep the mice out.

No comments: