Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Foodie High

I just read a disturbing article in the Dining section of today's New York Times. it was all about how chefs get high in their kitchen. Yes stoners are everywhere, including our favorite restaurant's kitchens. Luckily I know most of the chefs where I eat. I trust them. I know they're not going to get toasted when slicing onions for my soup or grilling chicken for my Caesar salad. However I may now be leery of new places.

The article written by Dining regular, Kim Severson, tells about the chefs who do create dishes when they ;re baked.Some like the chef from the great new York eatery, Momofuku Milk Bar isn't but creates dishes that appeal to the more baked than hungry.The dish in point is the signature dessert - one that involves the milk that's left over from a bowl of cereal. This is served with iced cream and probably does make a good ending. It's probably also reminiscent of a munchie orgy after a few good ones.However there are chefs who relax(fine) and create(not so fine) after rolling joints. Marijuana is supposed to heighten the taste buds . OK, whatever but doesn't salt do the same thing?

Baked chefs? I'm not comfortable with that idea.I want mine to be lucid and clear headed. I don't like the idea of a stoned chef anymore than I like the idea of a drunk one. Cooking is like any other job.It requires responsibility and alertness at all times.

No comments: