Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Foods That Excite Us

Every foodie out there has a favorite dish that just transcends him or her. This could be just a simple sandwich or an elaborately prepared meal. It could be something exotic or something commonplace. All in all it's the food that excites us.

I have to admit a weakness for fresh tomato and mayo sandwiches. This has been my go to sandwich since I was twelve . I had read about it in one of those tween books and it had been the heroine's favorite. Yet there's nothing like a Jersey tomatoes sliced thinly and then layered on toasted white bread. Of course it pays to have the bread slathered with mayo. I have tweaked this simple recipe over the years. I've added tarragon to the mayonnaise as well as sprinkle don fresh ground sea salt and pepper. Still the original tastes the best. There's something satisfying about the tomatoes acidity mingling with the mayo's creaminess along with the toasted aftertaste of the bread.

Other foods that excite me are caramel apples. Again is is just simply caramel overlaid over an apple but the two tastes together are magical. There's something about the way these two sweet tastes come together. It's the same with strawberries s or raspberries and bitter chocolate. Both are sweet and you'd think the taste would be jarring but they're not.

What are the tastes that excite you? Is it something as simple as what I've described or is it more complex. Write to us here with your loves, your ideas and your thought on foods that get you going.

No comments: