Saturday, July 11, 2009

I Came I Saw I Tried

Yesterday's entry was devoted to this stand in my local mall. All it sold was corn and potatoes. As a foodie I was intrigued so I went up. Mind you the mall was already crowded because the kid who plays Draco Malfoy (that snotty blonde teen from Hogwarts) was also at the mall promoting the new Harry Potter movie. it was chaos getting to the stand which was well out of the food court.

Was it worth it?

Well, to be honest I don't really know. The stand is called Cup It and it features food in - you guessed it - a cup! it was created by a Turkish immigrant to the States and the concept is really really new. there's another one at the Palisades Mall in Nyack, New York, not far from here. I checked the reviews on that one and like me, diners were a bit confused. The concept is food in a cup but it's corn niblets not popcorn or fries. It cost me four bucks for niblets mixed with butter and salt. There are other flavors such as Mumbai which I guess is curry and then there's a barbecue one. I like corn and especially buttered corn but I don't feel a cup of it is a substantial dinner with a diet Coke. Also the idea of paying four bucks for it is a little pricey. I can go to my neighborhood A&P and just buy up a whole slew of canned corn fo r that price


The potatoes were little waffle fries , not balls and they were flavored as well. I didn't get that but tried my Mom's waffle in a cup. It a medium sized round waffle squished in a cup. Nutella is added to it along with fruit or nuts. She chose fruit and whipped cream. It wasn't so bad , kind of tasting like a warm brown derby cake. Still not what I would get at my local mall for dinner though.

So I tried Cup It. I think it would have more potential if it served a variety of fries or maybe even soups. Eating niblet corn , even as a snack is just too outre. Maybe it could work , with some tweaking. It just leaves me puzzled.

No comments: