Friday, January 31, 2020

The Cirrhosis Diet

The liver is one of the most important digestive organs humans have. Yet it can be damaged, thanks to bad eating and that means a special diet. The cirrhosis diet can help and can even prevent liver damage.

I am interested in this because i may have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. This is a the onset of cirrhosis and untreated  can lead to liver cancer or liver disease. It can be stopped or slowed down. The liver won't return to normal but the disease won't progress. How did this happen? Eating way too much sugar and fried foods along with an addictive passion to fast foods.I had been diagnosed seven years ago by a doctor who had a very cavalier attitude towards it. I did try to stave it off for years , taking milk thistle which helps every day.I plan on taking it up again and recommend others with CDL chronic liver disease to do the same. Dandelion also helps. Both can be bought at GNC  chain store around the country. I will also be cutting out fried foods  along with ones heavy in salt and sugar. It's no more cookies and candy - which were my downfalls. Soda and fruit juices are definitely out. In fact they cause more liver damage than alcohol. White grains such as refined flour and white rice are also off the table -literally. Potassium rich foods like bananas and cod should be nixed. Potassium contributes to liver disease so avoid other foods such as peas and sweet potatoes too.

What will I be able to eat? Luckily my favorites - cruciferous veggies are on the list. That means I can have them and Brussels sprouts with a small amount of butter. Other veggies include another favorite Brussels sprouts and avocados. Spinach is another must eat green that can help the liver. Have it in a salad  with olive oil and lemon. No vinegar because it's toxic to the organ.Tomatoes are a must eat and and a must drink. Tomato juice makes a great snack, especially if it's jazzed up with turmeric. If you have CLD please add this amazing spice to your spice rack. It can retard the disease thanks to its' anti-inflammatory properties.Ginger is another spice perfect in helping this disease. It, too has anti-inflammatory properties, namely proteins that help in reducing scar tissue. You can also make a ginger tea by slicing up the fresh root and boiling it. Keep in mind that it's also good for stomach aches and colds too. As for drinks it will be coffee, flavored seltzer and green tea. It will be hard to give up fruit juice and soda but this is something I have to do. To be honest in a few months I'll wonder why I even drank them at all.It'll be the same thing for all those bad foods too. I'll look at them and wonder what i saw in eating them.

I do not look forward to this diagnosis.I do look forward to healing myself with good foods and good beverages. Hopefully I can take myself back to what it was.

No comments: