Monday, November 25, 2019

My Big Fat Tofu Thanksgving

At almost the midnight hour I found out that I'm cooking this year's Thanksgiving luncheon/dinner. Of course it's all going to be vegan with vegan sides. It was a last minute thing but I had the menu in place.  Sort of.

The main course was going to be Gardein's turkey cutlets with gravy but they were nowhere to be found. Luckily this came on my radar.


It's suited more to Christmas but beggars can't be choosers. It's already marinaded in vegan amber ale and supposedly  has a smoky flavor like the real thing. After a 24 hour thaw it's in the oven for an hour at 325 degrees F. I may sheet pan it with some yams.
                                                 The sides will be simple. I bought Aldi's Loaded Mashed potatoes which is flavored with fake bacon (hopefully vegan ) sour cream and cheddar.
This is an instant cook that just requires milk. Then as I researched a dementia diet, I came across a string bean almandine recipe that peaked my interest.
It'll be steamed green beans with almonds sauteed in lemon butter sauce scattered on top. That sounds too good to pass up.

As for dessert, a pie for just two people is just too much. Yet we still want that pumpkin pie flavor. I found a vegan pumpkin mousse on the blog Feasting On Fruit. It seems easy enough, combining pumpkin puree and coconut yogurt mixed with pumpkin pie spice and maple syrup.
I'm excited about this the most. It sounds exciting and if it works out well, then it will be a fall standard in my house. The website has other vegan recipes that look intriguing and you may see my version of them in the weeks to come.(especially for X-mas cookies).

This is what awaits me on Wednesday - for the mousse and Thanksgiving for the vegan ham and sides. As with any meal I just hope all goes well. As the pros say if you can ace Thanksgiving you can ace any meal.I hope I can.

No comments: