Saturday, September 7, 2019

Air Fryer Pigs In Sticky Blankets

The cookbook, Two Peas And Their Pod had a recipe for pigs in blankets. It inspired me to create my own vegan air fryer ones.

It starts with crescent rolls . Before you buy the roll, check the expiration date. I didn't and found that mine was only two weeks from expiring. .The dough turned out OK to eat but it was dry and crusty.
I used the Lightlife brand which is the closest to real hot dogs, and of course, Pilsbury crescent rolls,
You can see the crustiness which means old dough. Use a newer  or fresher tube.
It's then cutting the dogs in half and rolling them up in the entire triangle.
The yield was eight piggies in blankets .Some rolled out OK, some didn't. 
Here's the tricky part. Getting the time and temp right. I looked through a few web sites and decided to use my own judgement.
Four minutes - not enough
330 degrees F. what most of the websites recommended.
After four minutes, the piggies looked like this - a golden brown.
There was one problem. The bottoms were still raw and sticky. They had to be turned and air baked (?) for another three minutes.
They're a lovely golden brown here yet still the tiniest bit sticky. I did spray vegetable oil spray over the entire basket. The next time I 'll use the recommended cut out parchment paper. I think they'll be no stickiness and evenly baked bites.
The end result was tasty, especially with a dip of Grey Poupon mustard.
I loved the crusty ,crunchy blanket and the dogs were well cooked. I may try something like this with vegan chicken strips.

This is a fun weekend dish. Again, you can follow Two Peas And Their Pod Cookbook or any air fryer website. The result is a tasty vegan piggie in the sticky blanket.

No comments: