Friday, September 20, 2019

A Family Classic Updated

It's almost fall and that means zuppa di zucca, Piedmontese pumpkin soup. Nothing beats the mild sweet flavor married to cream, veggie broth and sauteed onions.Unfortunately there was one problem with finding the ingredients - no pumpkin. Luckily there were cubed butternut squash to sub in instead.
I used two packages of Stop & Shop's Nature's Promise butternut squash cubes and half a yellow onion. The last is crucial in forming the flavor . Chop it up and saute it in a mix of butter and olive oil. I used Country Crock's plant based butter with avocado oil. It does the trick in subbing in for butter when cooking.
Let the onion pieces sweat on a low flame while you make the broth. (if you're smart you'll buy the already made veggie broth. One less step to worry about.)
I used two cubes for two cups of water.
This is a quick boil and it will turn a golden brown color.
Add this and the two cartons of squash to the onions.
Squash takes about ten minutes to cook over a high heat. I steamed it , by putting the lid on top.The cubes cooked up pretty quick.
Then it's the time to use the immersion blender.
Except there was another problem to face. It didn't work  - possibly because I gave it a forbidden thorough washing when I was using it to make gazpacho almost on a weekly basis.. Sooooooo_
To give it that satiny, creamy texture I had to call in an old fashioned potato masher . This is what my Mom, Nonna and great-aunt,  used for decades when cooking their versions. I imagine my bisnonna - my great- grandmother -used something  similar too. ( immersion blender update - I ordered one right away from Target)
Then it was adding the milk, in this case almond milk.
Use a cup and a half of it to create the traditional creamy texture.
Was it as good ? I would have liked a creamier more satiny texture but the taste was exactly like my Mom's Nonna's and Great Aunt's. It was a vegan version but it tasted like the original recipe, traditionally made with chicken broth, cream or milk and real butter. I loved it and plan to make it again with my new (!) immersion blender. I may add rice which was another delicious variation of my great aunt's.

This is the perfect fall soup.Try it with either butternut squash or pumpkin puree for a rich flavorful bowl. It's a lovely way to celebrate the new season!

No comments: