Tuesday, May 21, 2019

The First Barbecue of The Season

With Memorial Day comes barbecues and guests. The barbecue is usually the first of the season. For some it's their first planned barbecue. What will be on the menu? New dishes or traditional? Recipes that are more nutritional or fun?

This is what I will be dealing with since this is my first planned barbecue in a long time. I still have to get a grill. It'll probably come from Wal-Mart and be something simple.This has to be easy to store too (unless we have a warm winter ahead of us and then there's some extra barbecue days). Another point to ponder - do I go with easy to use but carcinogenic charcoal or fragrant but hard to light at times wood chips.I would like to go with the wood chips , because they are safer along with giving the meat a lovely flavor. Then there is that question. Vegan or meat. I will probably go with the first.Target has Beyond Beef which will probably be the patty of choice. This looks and tastes like the real thing and it's the one food I want to try. Now comes the bun question. Do I go with the sweet Hawaiian ones or the doughy , crusty sesame seed kind. Luckily the condiment is straight forward. Ketchup - mustard, maybe tomato slices and possibly grilled romaine leaves.I'll also have some slices of soy cheddar for cheeseburgers.

One of the biggest headaches to tackle is what to serve as sides.Three bean salad? Not a good choice for guests with stomach problems. Tomato salad is always a good choice but so is string bean salad, especially if fresh ones are used.Potato salad  is a barbecue must, yet it comes with a few question marks.Do I get it from the store where it is good or do I make the family one that is a bit elaborate to create.The last comes with chopped celery and sliced hard boiled eggs. There is a Sicilian style that I'd like to try - it has cherry tomatoes and sliced red onions. A vinaigrette is subbed in for the mayo.There is still a lot of work  to it, not as much as the traditional recipe however. The only cooking comes with boiling russet potatoes. The dessert has been decided. I will be making an ice cream loaf cake.It'll be layering soy ice cream with crushed chocolate wafers.Hard shell topping and vegan whipped cream will decorate it.Should there be s'mores? Maybe next time.

Barbecue season is here.Let's hope it literally doesn't go up in smoke.Let"s hope it's a season of good food and good fun.

No comments: