Saturday, March 23, 2019

The Lamb Experiment Part Two Icing Is Coming


This is part two of the Lamb Experiment. Yesterday I baked the Wilton lamb using my Mom's mold. It came out pretty OK. Now was the time  to ice and decorate it.


This is the original instruction booklet that came with the mold. I used the original icing recipe with one difference.I made it vegan.


I used Country Crock's baking stick along with Crisco's vegetable shortening. I wasn't a big fan of shortening until I saw what it can do to icing. It gave it a creamy texture and a lovely white color.



Confectioner's sugar was Domino's - what else. I used only four and a half cups instead of the recommended five.
It really is the perfect white icing. 

The Wilton recipe recommended a 1/4 cup of milk, except that  milk can make the icing spoil if it's left out.I went vegan and used Blue Diamond Almond milk instead.


It was perfect. I'm still amazed at how creamy the icing is.


The decorating requires a bit of the icing to be colored for the eyes,nose mouth and ears. I used Wilton's, putting two blobs of frosting in coffee cups. They were decorated with Wilton's gel dyes.

I stole a trick from The Great British Baking Show and put the dye on a toothpick for the right amount of color. It was then twirled into the icing..It produced cotton candy pink for the mouth nose and ears.
And a sweet cotton candy blue for the eyes
This is Lambie. The white spots are the flour left from baking. It can be gently scraped off with a butter knife.
Remember, to give any cake a crumb coating or a first layer of icing before the actual frosting and decorating.


Then it was onto the fluffy fleece.
Again I used Wilton's plastic and disposable decorating bags and tips. These are neat because they're printed with a line telling you where to end filling it.


Don't make the mistake I did. Please chill the icing before using. It gets messy and gooey as all get out when it's warm.
Here she is. pretty as ever.

I added tart blackberries for some fun and to offset all that sweet icing.

Miss Lambie is just the first in a series of lambs.I plan on making a vegan one , along with a chocolate one with coffee icing. It should be fun. 
Ewe'll find making an Easter lamb enjoyable. (sorry, I could not resist.)It's a great family and friends project.






No comments: