Saturday, February 2, 2019

A Trio Of New Spices

Trying new spices are always fun. One of my favorite spice companies Pereg has come out with a trio of new ones. They're interesting and can be used in a variety of ways.

One of my favorites is their Everything But The  Bagel mix of sesame and poppy seeds, onions garlic , salt and pepper.Imagine if you can just eat the top of the everything bagel. I actually put a few sprinkles on a pretzel bagel .
It was like eating an everything bagel. I plan on making rolls with the tops dipped in it sometime mid week. (which will be posted with step by step instructions).
The next two spices are variations of hawaij ,a Yemeni  spice that has two variations.One is savory and made with cumin, tumeric,coriander, black pepper, cardamon and cloves. it can be used in soups and  rubs. I decided to go a different route - I used it to spice up my batter for cauliflower.
It is a regular vegan batter-made with just almond milk, water and flour. I add two and a half teaspoons full of the savory hawaij. 

This is the finished product. They were double dipped between dredgings to produce and cooked in my air fryer (there will be a whole how to on Monday) at 350 F for fifteen minutes. The taste had an Indian vibe thanks to the turmeric . They were tasty and I plan on using the savory hawaij in minestrones and maybe on potatoes and onion too.
Then there is the sweet hawaij.


This is a blend of ginger,cinnamon, cloves and cardamon. I mixed it with Kava coffee , sugar (a lot) and milk. 
I also sprinkled it on the top of the whipped cream for a coffee bar touch. It was interesting and reminded me of the pastries I've had at a Palestinian bakery in Paterson NJ
. It's supposed to be used for pancakes and meatballs but I may try it in meringue  batter  to spike it or again with coffee.


Pereg has outdone themselves again with three new spice blends. They're great for revving up something as simple as bagels and cauliflower or as complex as a coffee blend. Try them for a unique flavor experience.

No comments: