Saturday, January 26, 2019

The Internet As Cookbook

Are home chefs using the Internet a bit too much? It seems that way, thanks to blog like this one along with Pinterest and Instagram. Will the cookbook go the way of Blockbuster and coal stoves.

Thanks to the invention of the information highway cooking with Internet recipes has gotten easier. There's literally every recipe on the World Wide Web even ones I thought were only unique to my family (they're not). It's so easy to type in any type of recipe and what seems like thousands pop up. The other day I wanted to make the M&M cookie  my Mom had made for me as a small child.. I remember the recipe  being in Life Magazine in one of the ads for the candy. Now type it in the search bar and every kind comes up. I was hoping for the original recipe, but wound up choosing one that produced monster cookies. They were delicious but not what I was really going for. For my holiday cooking I had to do a second check on Brussels sprouts because I had half forgotten my mother's recipe for them. It was one of those times I longed for a family recipe book. Someone else's recipe is not the same as one passed down from generation to generation. Don't get me wrong. I rely on the Internet for most of my info, but it would be nice to open a book and get what I need from it.

Which brings me back to the question - are we relying too much on the world for our cooking techniques instead of books written by real chef?. My tween years were spent in many a bookstore and the book section of department stores (yes, that was a section back then, along with wine and home repair sections in stores such as Macy's).There was nothing like poring through exotic themed cookbooks  with glossy pictures of dishes photographed on villas or fancy beaches or restaurants. The recipes were straightforward. Anyone could create them. What I liked were the explanations of the dishes along with their stories and histories. They were more than just cookbooks. They were kind of like encyclopedias. Some even had room to write notes in along side the list of ingredients. There are still cookbooks like that out there, one in particular is one by Sheila and Marilynn Brass, Their Heirloom Cooking (Black Dog & Leventhal Publishing ) has a wonderful collection of classic recipes plus a folder in the back for your own ones.  They, like many other cookbooks have information and vital advice about how to shop and what to have. You really can't get that from the internet.

Will the upcoming generations wonder what was an actual cookbook? I hope not. There should be cookbooks with crucial information and lots of beautiful glossy pictures.

No comments: