Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Life With The Air Fryer

I have to admit that I didn't know what to do with the Power Air Fryer I received for Christmas.My first thought was it's too big and  I'll use it as much as I will that cookie press I bought. Boy, was I wrong!

It turns out this gadget is handy and sometimes better than the oven.I was skeptical at first, wondering if I was going to use it or would it just collect dust. . The air fryer  was what my kitchen was missing. I definitely warmed up to this huge  pod, a little bigger than a Keurig coffee maker.In actuality, it's just a smidge larger than my crockpot and fits quite nicely on my kitchen counter. Another plus is that it has a timer that beeps when the food is done or needs to be turned. To be honest I use it more than my oven now.There's no need to  empty it of the pots pans, and cookie sheets that are conveniently stored inside of my stove. . It is a snap to clean - unlike the other.
 The two "frying " baskets are just emptied of crumbs (read eaten - they're the most delicious part) and then washed in just warm soapy water. To be honest, all the foods that require oven cooking taste better somehow in this amazing machine.It may be the hot air that encircles each piece. I've noticed that Gardein's tofu chicken nuggets were much tastier and crunchier, without any grease. The Power Air Fryer turned Golden"s veggie pancakes into extraordinary golden discs, perfectly cooked with a crispy french fry like exterior.

Having it has expanded the cooking experience. I have air fried Stop & Shop's spring rolls in it. They turned out to be golden without the usual oily after taste.I've bought spanokopita , the small Greek spinach pies that can be cooked in the fryer. I do want to try homemade potato pancakes as well. There is a recipe book with it, that features the usual and not  so usual. It shows how to properly frozen onion rings and fries, along with homemade mozzarella sticks. There's also the intriguing mac and cheeses, a perfect recipe for left over baked macaroni,What's surprising is that the book - more of a pamphlet really - has recipes for beef empanadas and blooming onions.  The next model up has accessories like baking pans and you can bake anything in it.There is even a web site with all recipes air fryer, from shortbread (!) to lamb chops.The recipe for air fried breaded mushrooms look interesting and would even make a good main course. I definitely want to try the banana chips and the air fryer tofu, made crispy with brown rice flour.

The Power Air Fryer is here to stay. I really love this machine.It's versatile and a good alternative to the oven.There's so much to do with it - so much to make.

No comments: