Tuesday, November 6, 2018

A Hot Dish For Election Night

The country is all hot and bothered  with mid term fever. The way to ge through it  - with a hot comforting dish to either celebrate or seek solace . I chose the classic Hungarian chicken paprikash - except mine has a twist - it's semi- vegan.

Paprika is the chief ingredient in this creamy strew of a dish. I used Pereg's Spanish Paprika  for an easy paprikash recipe I found on Jo Cooks - a breezy, fun recipe blog, It starts out with chicken  - well vegan chicken,
The chicken strips and chopped onions are sauteed in olive oil.
Then the chopped pepper. You can use whatever color you want. I wanted color so I used the orange bell pepper.
Then it was two heaping tablespoons of paprika. I know I should have used the Hungarian kind but I used the  Spanish.
It was sweeter and smokier,giving the dish a mellower taste.The dish needs two heaping tablespoons along with a dash of chili flakes.      
            Diced tomatoes are also added.The recipe also call for a half a cup of chicken broth. I used  3/4 's  of a cup of College Inn's vegetable broth instead.
A mix of 1/4 cup of sour cream and two tablespoons flour are also added for thickening and taste.
I had no pots to cook the egg noodles so they were zapped into the microwave - which honestly produced a better and chewier noodle.
The end result?
The picture says it all. More sour cream was added for lusciousness!

I definitely will make this again. To be honest I'd like to try it with Gardein's beef tips for a spin on this classic Hungarian comfort food. 
Now if only our elections were this easy!

No comments: