Thursday, August 16, 2018

The Rhode Island Sloppy Joe My Spin

The recipe in last Sunday's NewYork Times magazine looked too good to pass up. Sam Sifton wrote about it .It is Matthew Hyland,'s, owner of Emily and Emmy Squared  restaurants of Brooklyn, Manhattan and Nashville.He first made it at the deli marketplace at Clements Marketplace in Portsmouth. Rhode Island when he was an undergrad at nearby Roger Williams University in Bristol.It sounded good and vegan convertible. It had to be made.I added my own spins on it.
   It calls for green peppers. I used red because they're sweeter and would work well, offsetting the spiciness of the vegan chorizo I used.
One pepper was sliced , seeded and coarsely chopped. I then added crumbled vegan chorizo.
It comes in a plastic casing  which has to be discarded. (note to self - remember this the next time you cook with it).
Chef Hyland's recipe calls for red onion. I had a quarter of a yellow one left over so I decided to use that. Of course there was garlic, finely minced.
The recipe also called for cumin seeds which I didn;t have, Powdered cumin worked just as well.
Two teaspoons.
It was all mixed together with a cup of crushed tomatoes and half a cup of water.
It was a delicious mix.Everything was stirred over a medium flame.
It cooked up very well,  like a Sloppy Joe. which it essentially it is.
It should be layered with kale or spinach and a slice of Provolone cheese but I thought the two may be too much. I did add a liberal dose of celery salt as required.It gave it a Springy green flavor.
I preferred mine on a crusty hard roll, which is what Mr. Chef Hyland recommends.


This was a great sandwich. Next time  I will layer on spinach leaves and Provolone cheese for the whole experience. It was definitely a must do and a tasty one at that too!

No comments: