Thursday, December 21, 2017

Bakezilla Day One

Today was Day One of my holiday baking extravaganza. I forgot that cupcake making is a lot like childbirth. You tend to forget the agony and pain until you start the process again.It was definitely worth it, despite the battle with the icing.I enjoyed making the Christmas funfetti cupcakes. As you can see from the pictures, they're even pretty sans the topping. I may just try naked cupcakes for Valentine's Day.

Here's the batter with the sprinkles. Most recipes call for 1/2 cup .I used a little more for a really dotted effect.The cake batter was Duncan Hines's lemon cake mix.The lemon gives it some bite and kick
It kinds of looks like a beaten egg with red and green pepper bits.


These are the sprinkles  used, bought from my Stop & Shop's bakery department.
This is the festive cupcake paper, also bought from Stop & Shop. They're pretty and fun, and the reason I went with green icing. - to provide a nice contrast.
These are my beauties baked. You can see how pretty and colorful they look without the icing.I may try the "naked" look for Valentine's Day (the cupcakes - not  ME  of course)

These are the ingredients for my favorite cream cheese icing. I went upscake  and used Kerry Gold Butter instead of the usual spread. I also added a splash of  whole milk to make the icing creamier
Four cups of confectioner's sugar was used. This was right after I creamed the cream cheese and  butter together. I microwaved the butter beforehand for thirty seconds to soften it.It really helps.

Two teaspoons of vanilla gives it flavor. I prefer Neisen Massey. They're is the best and purest form of the essence.
I used a lot of green food coloring from McCormick, It looks like a kale leaf snuck in there.Luckily  it spread and became a festive leafy green

These are the finished gems. I added a puff of more icing after I spread on an initial layer with my icing spreader (a must have for any home baker)>The puffs were added with my 
Wilton decorator gadget.I am a proud cupcake mama but my babies are gorgeous.!

These are a  lot of work but there is a certain amount of fun there.Tomorrow I tackle cookies!!!


No comments: