Monday, March 12, 2012

Eat Healthy It's Easy

Is it hard to give up the all that bad food? Yes!!! Who doesn't loved fried chicken wings, washed down with fries and a big Pepsi?Or a bacon cheeseburger? Or home made  chocolate chip cookies and shortbread? After all they''re tastier than all that healthy stuff, right? Maybe not. Fruits and veggies can be just as tantalizing and as yummy.

I recently had to change my own eating habits. I am a foodie, loving every aspect of food from crunchy fried snacks to icing drenched cupcakes. However I had to give up all that white flour, dairy,processed meats for healthier and just picked fare. I thought for sure I am going to hate this. My second thought how can I create healthy meals? Surprisingly both are easy. I have always loved fruit and veggies and sadly got away from them. I love the fresh field taste of kale and spinach. I'm now in love with lentils sprinkled with a good dose of tumeric. Even water - something I've just avoided is now my drink of choice along with freshly made juice. I still drink tea but eschew hot cocoa and coffee. Do I miss all that junk? Not really. I consider it poison to my system and I wish others would too.

What about cooking? Again there are some great all natural recipes that are tasty. Those lentils, that I previously hated are good cooked with brown rice. I also enjoy them reheated in the microwave with olive oil and again tumeric. Salads are easy to make and also fun. This is one dish where there is so many varieties  that the dish never grows old or stale. I can add grilled chicken or fish, create a tasty vinaigrette with the addition of crushed blueberries or blackberries, mix in different veggies every night. As far as with cooked dishes. there is turkey meat loaf, or turkey meat balls with whole wheat pasta. As for something to drink with it, I have my new Juiceman juicer.I can create more flavor combos than there are bottled drinks out there. Dessert is fruit. There's nothing like pineapple, blackberries or blueberries as a nice ender. Snacks are whole wheat Triscuits or even a scoop or Peanut butter (anjd sometimes cheating with Cheerios)

Eating healthy is not as scary or as boring as people think. Fruits and veggies are better tasting than than all those cupcakes and chips. Water is just as refreshing as any soda or sweetened tea. It's easy to change habits when there's a whole cornucopia of good things out there.

No comments: