Monday, March 14, 2011

Sweet Testing

Picking a sweetener is always a hard choice. Do you go with the all natural or do you try the new and improved stuff. Do you count calories or tally up the health risks associated with some artificial sweeteners? That was my dilemma when I received my agave sample the other day.

I was curious about this all natural sweetener since I wrote about agave a week ago , I sent away for my free samples and was super excited when they arrived in the mail . I tried it in a cup of hot tea .It wasn't bad, being almost the same color and consistency as honey (which I'm not a big fan of).It wasn't bad. It did sweeten without honey's cloying muskiness. I don't think I would use it in baking as other foodies would do. For me it's just one of those sweeteners and flavor enhancers that I would put in hot or iced tea.

There are some health risks associated with this natural sugar however they're minor. I still prefer regular or raw sugar despite their calories. I just feel they add the right amount of sweetness. Besides it's also easier to bake with regular sugar and it doesn't throw off the texture or taste of whatever you're baking. Once in a while I will use Splenda which is OK and again is also naturally sweetneed.

Finding a sweetener you like can be a tough choice. It's best to sample what's out there and then make your decision based on what you need, and of course what you like. No matter what you choose, it's usually the right option.

No comments: