Friday, January 14, 2011

Good Jersey Pizza

Anyone living in New Jersey can tell you we have good Italian food here.days I have had more . Our diners, already laden with a million different foods now have a large pizza and pasta list. I've bneen dining on all sorts here from pizza bagels to the thin crust oven baked kind. Our neighboring state, New York may claim they have the best however I think there is some competition from the Garden State here.

I recently ate at botht he HEritage Diner and Brooklyn Pizzeria in Hackensack , NJ. Hackensack is one of the state's oldest, having been a trading post between the Dutch and th e Indians during th e 1600's. Who knew that over 360 years later it would known more for its' food than anything else (beisdes a mention in a Billy Joel song). I have had the pizza bagels at the famed Heritage Diner on River Road, This is one of the towns' oldest diners (over forty years in existence) It;s known for a large variety of different types of cuisines from the standard burger and fries to Greek. However it has an extensive Italian menu . I tried their fun pizza bagels which is a jumbo size bagel laden with a ton of sauce and mozzarella. it was too huge to eat and has t be shared. I'm looking forward to their pizzas in the future along wit some of the regular diner fare.

Down the road from the Heritage is Brooklyn Pizzeria. This is a small cozy kind of place that's perfect for date night. Their pizza is phenomenal, being equal to that of th e famous John's down in New York City's Bleeker Street. The crust is super thin and crisp while the sauce is rich with spices and garlic. I love th e fact that they are so may topping.s I chose olive and my individual pie was covered with them. I plan on going back to Brooklyn Pizzeria to try their antipasto . This is done in the traditional style with cold cuts , veggies and cheeses as well as their penne in butter sauce.

The Garden State has small culinary meccas dotted through it. Hackensack is one of them, known for it's Italian food. If your;e in the area , stop into the Heritage Diner or Brooklyn Pizzeria. You'll have the best Italian food in the state!

No comments: