Thursday, June 10, 2010

What's Wrong With Plain Hot Choolate?

During a mini cold snap here recently I turned to hot chocolate for some comfort. After all there's nothing like a cup of steaming pure cocoa for an after dinner evening treat. However my hot cocoa had another flavor -hazelnut. It made it taste like a fancy coffee or a brand name chocolate. Not what I expected.

It seems hot cocoa is going the way of coffee and tea.It' s gets to be multi flavored. Is this a good thing? I don't think so. Thee are different flavors now and even a white cocoa mix (which Iwonder looks like steamed milk or is beige??), like the said hazelnut, raspberry and mint. In my opinion these make the drink taste most like a liquid cake. In fact I did need a drink of water after my cup. It was too sugary and sweet tasting. I didn't find it all that enjoyable. A real hot chocolate should be a rush of bitter cocoa followed by the rich sweetness of milk or cream.

I don't mind when a hot cocoa brand puts mini marshmallows or extra chocolate in their hit cocoa mixes. It only enhance the drink.It brings out the rich cacao flavor and adds to the creaminess. I do mind when extra flavor is added. After all hot chocolate is a drink - not a pastry ,not a coffee or a tea. It's just a simple drink, that's all.

No comments: