Thursday, June 17, 2010

Humming For Hummus

Yesterday 's New York Times Dining section had another article that caught my eye. it was about hummus which is the perfect food for this time of year. it makes for an easy dinner on nights when you don't wan t to cook. Hummus is a good party foods that can be served with both the traditional pita bread and crudites. It's easy to make as it is to buy too.

The piece written by John T, Edge profiles the Holy Land Hummus Company. this is owned by the Wadi family and they've introduced the centuries old spread to Middle America. They make not only th plain traditional but ones that include jalapenos and tsaziki sauce There is also the Crazy Camel that makes traditional hummus plus a dessert one that uses cocoa (yes there is a hummus that;s like chocolate mousse) Not surprisingly there is an upswing in hummus restaurants too, especially in Manhattan. I saw one yesterday in Greenwich Village and it looked like it had a long list of different tastes. There is also the fast food hummus franchise. Garbanzo Mediterranean Grill that specializes only in the dip. The twist is that you can get it in a variety of different flavors.

I'm not a big hummus fan however I do prefer my own to store bought. I downloaded my recipe from the Web. I also tailored it to wha t my family likes which means halving the amount of chickpeas used and subbing in cannelloni beans. These give the hummus a creamier, less intense flavor. I also add in sea salt and peppercorns for crunch and heat as well as a good dose of lemon juice. Adding a little more juice not only gives the hummus a refreshing tartness, it cuts down on th e"too beany" flavor.

Hummus is a great summer time addition to any table. You can buy it in a variety of flavors to be used for different reasons. Serve it at your next party or just have it with some crisped pita bread for an easy dinner or Saturday lunch.

No comments: