Friday, June 11, 2010

Googling Your Food

I remember a time when you used to just walk into a restaurant blind and sit down. there were no reviews on Bing. No menus poste d on Google. No reviews listed by anyone and their cousin. You just walked in and if the aroma was good , then that was all you needed to make a judgement.

I miss those days.

Now you get everything on your Blackberry. Looking for a particular sushi restaurant ? You can find it's location plus the number of stars enthusiasts have given it. Interested in a brick oven pizza or a good polenta? Google it and the answers automatically comes up.In some ways this is great. At least you know that you can always find a good meal as well as the best atmosphere and service too. It cuts out the guess work and gives you a direct answer.

Yet I miss the old days of just driving by a restaurant and stand and stopping. the whole adventure was wondering if it was good or bad. I've found the best places that way, whether they be coffee stand or diner. I like the sense of adventure when I head o ut on my occasional day trips. That's how I disocered this awesome Polish deli in South Amboy that makes the best ham on rye sandwiches. it;s also how I discovered a cool and yummy bakery in Long Branch. This last had received such bad reviews on line and if I had read them I would have avoided the place I walked into it , seduced by the pastries' look and smell. The result was a yummy homemade cupcakes and cookies.

Sometimes it's best to avoid the Internet when you're looking for a good meal or even a snack. If a place catches your eye. then look into it. You may just be pleasantly surprised by what you discover.

No comments: