Wednesday, May 5, 2010

This Is The Weekend To Cook!

Mother's Day is this weekend and this is the weekend to cook! I've just received my shipment from Sur La Table . I am over the moon about my new olive oil mister (which will definitely be used) along with my tomato savers and the colander ladles. Both Saturday and Sunday will be spent putting new spins on old favorites.Will I have enough time to create the perfect Saturday supper and Sunday morning brunch? I hope so.

Any meal comes down to planning. I know that for the dinner I will be making spaghetti with Bolognese sauce. The twist on this will be adding the chicken flavored soy strips to it .It'll be like a vegan cacciatore over pasta instead of the usual polenta. The"chicken" will add texture and more taste. It'll also be a turn from the usual, heavier recipe.Of course with it comes fresh made garlic bread and a nice crisp salad.

As for Mother's Day, I may make my Mom's favorite, Eggs Benedict. As you all know I made this just last week and it was a great success. I fried the eggs with the bacon as opposed to poaching them. This gave them a richer flavor and the yolks were more well cooked. I could also go the other route and make French toast, much in the style of its' parent pain perdu. This is where you sub in French bread slices for regular white or challah bread.It makes for a nicely chewy and more flavorful French toast.

This is definitely the weekend to cook. You can try to make the classics or try something else. Just plan now for what you'll be doing. It's easier and you can have more time to cook.

No comments: