Monday, May 17, 2010

There's Oil In My Mayo!!!

This is a short entry today (actually tonight) I just tried Hellman's mayo with olive oil and i have to admit I like it. IT has a sweeter taste , not so eggy really and seems lighter in texture and flavor. Hellman's has varied its' age old recipe with the blending in of Bertolli virgin olive oil. This is a great marriage because the stuff is lower in calories and cholesterol. You can actually make healthier salads and sandwiches with it. Kraft also has a mayo with olive oil in it as well.

I tried mine with what else - tarragon over cold sliced chicken. It was a lot lighter yet still delicious, similar to the other tarragon chicken salads I've made in the past. i thought it would be runny because real mayo is thick and creamy. I figured the olive oil would give it a syrupy texture but no. It held it's own and was perfect slathered on the Italian bread I used. It; will definitely be used in my egg salads and when I make deviled ham salad too. I imagine it would be a nice base for homemade French and Thousand Island dressing and won't have the usual heaviness associated with those two.

This new spin on an old classic is really a great invention. I plan on switching over. It's not only heart healthy but tastebud yummy.

No comments: