Saturday, May 29, 2010

Tea Time Tradition

I've recently gotten into the habit of putting sugar and lemon in my tea. I've always preferred plain but now I'm craving the tart sweet addition. I usually prefer my brew without anything. Now I no longer like the simple strong taste but want to amp up my cup.

Hot tea doesn't always have to have the addition of lemon and plain white sugar. You can sub lime juice for the lemon to make it more exotic . I thought of doing that and it would be refreshing in iced tea. You can also try brown granulated raw sugar too. Lavender infused honey is also a great sweetener and it can be used in both hot and iced teas. Another popular taste is mint. This too goes well in any kind of black tea . Wild mint grows in abundance so you can even pick some during a hike or from your backyard.

What teas go well with flavoring? I found just a simple black oolong goes well. I do like the slightly orange flavored Lady Grey for my morning cup however it doesn't need anything. Red or bush teas just require a simple sweentener like a half teaspoon of honey or sugar. I was drinking this last year thanks to the HBO series .The #1 Ladies' Detective Agency.It is a robust tea more suited to winter than summer.Other teas that require no additions are the soothing chamomile and the sturdy Earl Grey varieties.

Well, for now I'll enjoy my afternoon tea English style. I like the way my oolong mixes with lemon and sugar to create a relaxing drink. All I need to finish it are some scones and clotted cream.

No comments: