Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sushi For You

Yesterday's New York Times Dining had a interesting article about making your own sushi. This is interesting to me since I've been doing a lot of cooking lately. Sushi making looks like a lot of fun and requires very little effort. This last alone is a lure.

There were two articles one by the amazing Mark Bittman. He is a regular contributor to The Times and I like his minimalist style of cooking. His spin on sushi is simple. Just roll up the fish and veggies with rice and then wrap seaweed around them. The only complicated part is making the rice.It;s not just a simple boiling . Sushi rice dies require the addition if rice vinegar ,sugar salt and kelp. You also need awasezu and sake to boil the rice. This is what gives the rolls their sweetness and balances the seafood saltiness.

I'm not a big fan
of raw fish (and it would be hard to make with my cats hanging around, loudly demanding a morsel thrown their way). I would sub in hard boiled egg,, avocado seaweed and may be asparagus. I may even put a mash of peas or edamame in mine.

Sushi sounds like an easy challenge but it also sounds like fun.I probably will try it soon. There are so many possibilities and it'll be fun putting my own spin on this classic.

No comments: