Thursday, May 27, 2010

Seaside Sweets

After a fun day at the beach I stopped at Long branch's Cake Bake and Roll bakery. This is a kind of jersey shore Magnolia Bakery but the offerings were much better and cheaper too. Located int he same block of ultra modern and ultra new buildings as the boutique hotel bungalow this is a fun and cheery place to stop after a day of sun and surf. i really enjoyed it.

When you walk in the bakery divides.To the left there are coffees and teas that you can get(there are also tables where you can sit down). To the right there is a great array of different sweet and savory baked goods.I wanted some cookies to bring home and chose a nice array of butter cookies with various toppings (cinnamon, chocolate chips and colored sprinkles) These are the closest Ive tasted to home made and have a nice buttery homemade taste and crunch to them. The clerk also suggested I try their cupcakes and I ordered one. Despite what I've read on other on line reviews, the cupcake was delicious and better than I've had in some of Manhattan's trendy bakeries.the icing was light and delicate and the cake was fluffy and light. the flavor was a vanilla the icing was an unusual lime.The next time I;d like to try some of the chocolate , red velvet and carrot ones.

Cake Bake and Roll also had tarts, both sweet and savory along with bars, giant cookies cakes and unusual breads (one looked like a vine with ivy leaves). It also makes fresh crepes which I know I will be trying on my second trip back. The mini foccaccios looked yummy too.

For any of you heading to Long Branch or Monmouth Beach for sun and surf make a side trip to Cake Bake and Roll at the beginning of Pier Village in Long Branch. You'll enjoy a sweet treat after a day of salty ocean fun!

No comments: