Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Oh Fishsticks!!!

Fish fingers or sticks are one of every foodie;s childhood favorites; Who can forget those crunchy long wands filled with flaky cod , dipped in catsup . They were usually served on Friday and usually had a good helping of crunchy fries with them.. Luckily they haven;t gone out of production so another generation of kids can enjoy them. Besides they're a brain food, full of omega 3 which enhances brain development.

There are two brands that stand out to me. Mrs Pauls' , first developed in 1947 and Gorton's which is oneof the US's oldest food companies, , started in 1847. I love them both , but have a weakness for the first. Mr's. Paul's fish sticks were always so crispy it was like eating a snack food as opposed to something good for me. Now the company has fish shaped nuggets along with healthy fish sticks. Their crab cakes look delicious and I think I will be trying those out soon with some homemade cole slaw.

Gorton's was also a childhood favorite and remained so until my adulthood. This is one of the countries oldest starting in 1847 with the sons of French and Indian war veteran,. John Pew starting a dried cod fishery. Gortons has expanded too over the years and now includes shrimp and tilapia along with a low calorie, healthier brand of frozen fish. The company also produces some nice looking flavored filets that are on my must try list as well. They're kind of the grown up version of fish sticks.


Fish sticks are a wonderful; childhood memory. Luckily my favorite brands are still on the market to be tried whenever I like. There's nothing like a fish stick and chips dinner to make me feel warm and fuzzy. It's like being a kid all over again.

No comments: