Friday, October 9, 2009

My New Love Greek Yogurt

I just happened upon Greek yogurt yesterday . I was looking for soy which my local A&P did not have and came across the Chobani brand. I had always heard a lot about the Greek style and how it was far more superior to the American. It was and after one cup I was instantly hooked.

Greek yogurt is far more creamier and thicker than regular yogurt. The reason being is that it's made with ewe's milk as opposed to cow's milk. The texture is ultra creamy like creme fraiche blended with sour cream. The taste is slightly a bit tarter than what I'm used too but still good. I like the fact that Chobodos does not put a lot of fruit in their yogurt. the peach only had a modicum of chopped peaches and the taste was not overwhelmingly fruity (as it is with most American style yogurts) I also bought the blueberry and pomegranate and can't wait to try them.

I also plan on getting the plain variety too. Greek yogurt makes an excellent base for dips and is not as heavy as regular sour cream. It's also good,for baking and probably produces a richer cake. I'm looking forward t using it and other Greek varieties in my future cooking. It'll make a world of difference without a world of calories too. Plus it's a good source of calcium and an easy way to get it.

If you haven't already tried Greek yogurt do so. You'll be hooked by its' creaminess and creme fraiche flavor. It's a great addition to any diet and any kitchen!!!

No comments: